I have had this adorable paint by number puppy canvas for a while now and I finally found the perfect place for him. I contrasted it with photos and letters from WWI finishing with a broken number two from an old gas station sign.
This octopus assemblage gave me a bunch of trouble, a whole bunch. The problem wasn't the idea or what to do with it but rather how the heck in blazes to do it so it hung properly. The door is so heavy that when it is open it throws a lot of weight to the right and is hard to counterbalance. I can't believe I spent most of Friday fiddling with it, later when I was taking a break it came to me. So this morning I gave it a try and yes, finally it worked....
Starting a new clay sculpture. First shot is the mold after it's poured and now waiting. This time it was a long process I had to reconstitute my slip. I got a paint paddle from the hardware, added some boiling distilled water, poked a bunch of holes in the slip which was more like regular clay now and spent a fair amount of time mixing it. When I poured the first mold I didn't stir it again since I had spent all that time in the "process of mixing" and got quite a surprise when I opened the mold which is obvious from the photo. The second one I mixed then poured and waited until the slip went down about an inch, it came out perfect.
I have a show coming up at Core New Art Space, April 16- May 3 and over the next few weeks I will have a sneak preview of new pieces I will have for this show. Here is the first one.
This little finch met his demise the winter before this one in Montana along side of the famous Rock Creek. He had apparently flown into the large windows over looking the creek. I found him at the end of summer resting on a tarp covered table and he was perfectly preserved, mummified. I thought this bell jar with a bird on the handle at the top suited him beautifully. He is resting peacefully in my studio until the show.
It's the month of photography and there are photos and shows all over town. Out back behind Core gallery, a few years ago, on the alley a group of artists hung large posters on the back wall. It was great they looked very cool and it took a fairly long time for the walls to get tagged. A group of us had been talking talking talking for a year about putting up fresh posters. So last week we just jumped in and did it. Unfortunately it was too cold and the paste broke down and didn't adhere the posters to the wall. Yesterday we started again and here's what we got.
this is what we found when we arrived to fix the posters here's the fallen posters in Anthony's studio first we pieced together the torn ones then we hung the damaged ones first wall almost hung again second wall that we didn't get to back entrance from the alley and parking lot almost done. After we finished we had some parts we had to add glue to. Hopefully there will only be some repair it seemed like the for the most part they were fixed nicely.