Starting a new clay sculpture. First shot is the mold after it's poured and now waiting. This time it was a long process I had to reconstitute my slip. I got a paint paddle from the hardware, added some boiling distilled water, poked a bunch of holes in the slip which was more like regular clay now and spent a fair amount of time mixing it. When I poured the first mold I didn't stir it again since I had spent all that time in the "process of mixing" and got quite a surprise when I opened the mold which is obvious from the photo. The second one I mixed then poured and waited until the slip went down about an inch, it came out perfect.
I have a show coming up at Core New Art Space, April 16- May 3 and over the next few weeks I will have a sneak preview of new pieces I will have for this show. Here is the first one.
This little finch met his demise the winter before this one in Montana along side of the famous Rock Creek. He had apparently flown into the large windows over looking the creek. I found him at the end of summer resting on a tarp covered table and he was perfectly preserved, mummified. I thought this bell jar with a bird on the handle at the top suited him beautifully. He is resting peacefully in my studio until the show.
It's the month of photography and there are photos and shows all over town. Out back behind Core gallery, a few years ago, on the alley a group of artists hung large posters on the back wall. It was great they looked very cool and it took a fairly long time for the walls to get tagged. A group of us had been talking talking talking for a year about putting up fresh posters. So last week we just jumped in and did it. Unfortunately it was too cold and the paste broke down and didn't adhere the posters to the wall. Yesterday we started again and here's what we got.
this is what we found when we arrived to fix the posters here's the fallen posters in Anthony's studio first we pieced together the torn ones then we hung the damaged ones first wall almost hung again second wall that we didn't get to back entrance from the alley and parking lot almost done. After we finished we had some parts we had to add glue to. Hopefully there will only be some repair it seemed like the for the most part they were fixed nicely.
For at least a year we have been talking about what to do on the alley wall. It was wheat pasted a couple of years ago with posters for the month of photography. Over time the posters were ripped and torn covered with tagging. So we decided on Friday night to finally just do something about it. With totally no planning we jumped in two days later. Here are some shots from Sunday. Stay tuned more to come.
Scapegoat is mostly done. Had to make a hard decision about the lower background and this seemed to be the solution that I liked other than that he came out pretty good I think, he fits the feeling I want for this piece. I still want to fiddle with his horns a little, maybe stripes.....